Thursday, March 02, 2006

Pleonasm

I think that fatigue is going to kill us before Avian flu, AIDS, or global warming has a chance. There is no such thing as down-time anymore.

I have been working on an Action Research project in my Grade 8 class for the past four weeks. It has been interesting as I gave the students a survey before we began that asked them to rate how they saw themselves as learners, and the kinds of strategies they used, and how good they were at group work and independent work. They were honest in their answers, earnest almost, and the information helped me shape the way I introduced work in class.

After three weeks, we did a follow up survey. Numbers of the students hadn't accomplished everything that I had aimed for, and they indicated that on their surveys; others were really aware of some of the restrictions that had been placed on their learning, as I made them use particular reading strategies and group activities. I hope to have them present me with their own learning plans for the next segment. The stragglers will go on contract. I don't think that I will be able to keep up the maintenance on this too well, it's very time-consuming, but I have to try something.

Nonetheless. I feel that everytime I try to make a better mousetrap, the mice evolve to beat me. I miss my ignorance. I would like to say "turn to page 7, read to page 280 and do all the even numbered questions." Then I could sit at my desk and write blogs.

I have walked the entire distance to the place of better teaching on foot, and I am no better for it. Are my students? I guess we can't really tell until they are about 30. By that time, I better have retired.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pleonasm? Pleonasm?? What is superfluous about what you do? The students in your class are damned lucky to have you. They stand a much better chance of retaining what you teach than with others. It is what I ask myself everyday before I go to my math class; will it be better for the students to know the "what" or the "why" of the concepts I am presenting. I will not Sntnand by and listen to you denegrating your efforts.

Snades said...

Jeez. At least you are not boring the living daylights out of them. You are a fabulous teacher. You need to get out a bit and see how far advanced you actually are.