Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The New Year

Well hi there folks. We were temporarily out of touch as I forgot my passwords and all that technical crap.

There isn't a whole lot to report. Now that I don't have the Master's to work on, all this time just hangs heavily on me - - - NOT. It has been busy, catching up on reading, cleaning up (and throwing out all those piles of notes and articles) trying to get my marking all done for the quarter end, and getting back into my genealogy research.

The latter has met with some success. This time 3 weeks ago, all I knew were my great-grandparents names, but now I have their parents and siblings, and their parents and siblings, and even some of their parents. The records don't go any further than the 1740s or so. And it's all in Danish - not too easy to decipher, in the earlier records before 1815.

So now I want to go to Denmark again. Oh, the picture. Those are 3 of my Dad's cousins, who lived in Washington state. Edward died quite recently (the boy on the left). Rainard, the other boy, died in 1938. My father cut the tip of Rainard's index finger off with an axe when they were kids. The little girl, Olga, was 3 weeks older than my father. She's gone now too. The picture dates from about 1921.


My cousins and I discovered that our great-great grandmother, Petrine Lauritsen, died in Idaho in 1912. She'd emigrated to South Dakota with her family in 1892. My grandmother, Petrine's granddaughter, didn't make the trip until 1910. Strange world.







Tomorrow is anniversary number 15.

Miss you, Mom.

1 comment:

Puffer said...

I want to research my family
maybe u can give me some tips.