Thursday, December 08, 2005

20 to go

Parent teacher interviews are not my favorite entertainment. In twenty years I have still not mastered the art of saying all that needs to be said, which is essentially, "now that I've seen you, your child's vacuousness is understandable." Some parents want you to complain about their kids, so that they can tell you how they have it worse. Some parents want you to praise their child, which in turn honors their DNA. Some parents are frightening to look at. It is a great pity that tests are not taken before parenting is permitted.

But now that tonight's exercise in sizing each other up is over, I can relax until the spring when we endure this again; and after that, only 20 more of these evenings to get through before I retire.

Not every kid will get an A. Most parents agree with this - except their kid should be the one who does, not the one who doesn't. I suggested to a great many of them that they should still be reading with their kids, or at least switch from asking "did you do your homework" to "what do you think about ----?" We'll see if it made any difference when these guys hit grade 12. Meanwhile, back to the passive stares.

In the time it took you to read this blog, you should have been reading with your kid. Or, any kid. Find a kid. Take one off the street. Okay, don't, go to the street and do it there. Tell the cops you're saving the world for literacy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

And if the cops don't believe you, read to them while they are booking you for disturbing the peace. After all, cops like stories too.

And hey, what am I supposed to do with my remaining 12 sets of interviews after you leave? That seems a little unfair.

Snades said...

It's official, you've turned into a solid, immutable curmudgeon. Angus lives!!!!

Puffer said...

I read to kids
all the time
I don't read enough to myself
I am still working on the last
Harry Potter and Outlander
I read, I READ.
You crack me up
Go Lauri Go