Monday, May 01, 2006

Sell Your Soul

So I went to a production of "Faust" at the Vancouver Opera this weekend. It was okay... a very sparse set, blindingly white at times (oh the symbolism) and lots of black in there too. One of the devices used put me to thinking about designing a production of "Raven Steals the Sun" for us to do at school, but I'm sure there's probably some protocol about it. Anyway, I'm looking at Faust and thinking, what would I sell my soul for?? And I still haven't really come up with an answer.

Maybe if I was in dire need of something... although what that would be, I don't know. I have a pretty good life. Much better being me than some displaced person in Darfur. Or New Orleans. Or even Vancouver's lower east side. Or some of our kids out on the streets of Rupert.

Would I sell my soul to repair the environment? Or save the world from Dubya? Maybe. If I thought my action would be enough to endure. I ain't getting a permanent sweat on if the deal comes with a time limit.

Which puts me in mind of Dante and his inferno. Who would we find in Hell if we went on a little field trip? Do the meglomaniacs realize that that's where they're going to wind up, and they just don't care? Hell being eternity in the "really disgusting people we could have done without" section of the history books, that is.

Which brings me to this new controversy over the so-called Gospel of Judas. Since when is it a new idea that he was only doing what Jesus wanted him to do? Of course there was no crucifixion without the "betrayal". I always thought Judas got a raw deal on that. "Sure, man," he said, "I'll do whatever you want. You're the Christ, after all. Don't have them give me the silver, though, 'cause it demeans what I'm doing." I always thought Judas was given bad press by the rest of the Apostles because they were jealous. Peter got to be the Rock, Thomas got to doubt, and James was the favorite anyway - and who were the other guys? Kind of like Ringo always gettting slammed for being an afterthought Beatle, not really part of the "inner circle."

So back to Faust. For what would I sell my soul?? The rightwingers would probably say I've already sold my soul for my relationship. If that's the case, I'm down with that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I think your soul is something you would want to keep intact. Maybe putting your soul into helping people or trying to save the environment would be a good thing, but don't sell it.