Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Fame and Fortune

The adventure in Vancouver is now but a dim memory. I am quite perplexed by the world of academia; people willing to sit and listen to other people read quite wordy, obscure thoughts off of paper for half-hour intervals. There are cries of "Snorri! When did you get in from Iceland! I loved your work on The Glottal Implications of the word 'Harrumph.'" Kevin and I did ours as we would a professional-development workshop; some background chatter, and then hands-on stuff for the participants. Silly us.

I am equally fascinated by the lifestyle of one of our university connections, who to all intents and purposes is a career student. She and her husband both live at the university, work and study there, and raise their child there. It takes all kinds???

I am not getting too far on the gardening since my return. The weather has not been too cooperative, and my back aches. I'm too young to feel this tired. It scares me a little that I could sleep with very little provocation. I'm afraid I may doze while driving! But we are off to Vancouver again for the weekend, a round of family interactions that should be our last for a few years, and then home to start planning my field research for the fall. I am hoping to come up with something nifty for the Comp. Civ. class. Just what it will be, you will have to wait and see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Really, trying to present your information as you would to people who want to learn. Using best practice techniques at a university. How dare you.

Maybe for your field study you could have your comp civ students do a comparitive study of the glottal influence of the word Harrumph between European, Asian and First Nations societies.

paul